Making friends and connecting with people online is easy but when you’re looking for people that share similar interests with you, you have to twitch a little! Do you want New Friends on Twitch and watch videos or learn new things while you’re at it? You have to join Twitch.
Twitch. tv is a live streaming video service that allows you to watch people broadcast live videos and chat with others who are watching. Twitch was once known as being exclusively for people who play video games — players would broadcast themselves playing as others would watch and comment. Now, however, Twitch is used by creators of all types — from painters to jewelry makers to glass blowers and beyond — there is something for everyone on Twitch. Twitch is both a great way to watch experts and hobbyists practice their technique.
With over 100 million viewers worldwide who watch videos on the platform an average of an hour and forty-six minutes per day, there’s plenty of opportunities to network and make new friends! Twitch is owned by Amazon.com, which purchased Twitch in 2014 for $1.1 billion dollars.
On Twitch, you can chat in either two ways:
- If you have the expertise or are a hobbyist at creating something, you can broadcast yourself performing that activity. As people join your broadcast and start chatting with other viewers, you will be able to see the conversation and can chat with them just by talking to your mobile phone. People may even ask you questions about what you’re doing in the broadcast. For details about how to broadcast a live stream, check out the Twitch help page.
- You can watch other people’s broadcasts and chat with viewers who are watching the same broadcast.
Twitch is a free service, however, you do have the option to support the people who broadcast videos through either donation — one-time payments — or subscriptions, if they accept them. If they do, you’ll see buttons under their video broadcast that will allow you to contribute. You can also “Go Turbo” with your Twitch experience and pay $8.99 per month for special features and an ad-free experience. Payment is optional, however — there is so much fun and entertainment to be had for free on Twitch.
How to use the Friends Feature – Twitch Help
https://help.twitch.tv › article › how-to-use-the-friends-f…
Finding your Twitch Friends is easy. Use the new search bar in the left-hand navigation to locate your Friend and send a request. You will also see a list …
Introducing Activity Sharing with Friends | Twitch Blog
https://blog.twitch.tv › 2016/08/18 › introducing-activit…
In that spirit of sharing Twitch experiences with friends, you can now share what you are watching or broadcasting with your entire friends …
How to Watch Videos and Chat with New Friends on Twitch – Alexa …
https://alexawilliamcom.wordpress.com › 2019/03/01 › h…
Every user can find something on Twitch according to their interests. On Twitch you can watch games which are played by experts, and you can also interact with …
How to Make Friends on Twitch – Streamers Playbook
https://streamersplaybook.com › how-to-make-friends-…
Twitch is a great way to meet people who have similar interests as you … Theeasiest way to make friends on Twitch is through Twitch chat.
How to Sign Up for a Twitch Account on a Computer
After going through the first part of this article, I know you’re definitely wondering how you can Sign Up for a Twitch Account.
Though Twitch allows you to view broadcasts and observe chats without having an account, you must sign up and log in in order to perform certain functions, including participating in chats, following broadcasters that you like, and broadcasting videos yourself.
Here’s how to start chatting on Twitch:
- Open your web browser of choice and enter twitch.tv into the address bar (or click this link). Hit the return key to bring up the home page of Twitch.
- To set up an account, click the Sign-Up link at the top right of the page. (If you already have an account, click Log In to enter your username and password if you’re not already logged in.)
- You’ll be prompted to establish a username, a password, to enter your birthdate, and your email address. Click the “Sign Up” button at the bottom of the screen. Alternately, you can also sign up using your Facebook screen name and password.
How to find new friends and start chatting on Twitch
Twitch is home to over 2 million broadcasters who publish over eleven million videos each month. Because there are so many options, it’s easy to find videos that you’re interested in, as well as new friends to chat with as you’re watching the videos.
Here’s how to start chatting on Twitch:
Once you are signed up and logged in, you can start browsing the list of available broadcasts. To search for a particular topic, enter the term you’re interested in into the search bar. For instance, you can enter cooking to see a list of results containing videos of people who are live streaming cooking-related results including live videos, videos previously recorded, and games that contain the reference that you searched for.
Click on the video that you would like to watch. That will bring up a page containing the video, as well as a live chat on the right side of the screen. To participate in the chat, simply enter your message into the box at the bottom right that says “Send a message.” Click the “Chat” button to send it.
Commands are available that enable you to perform actions such as changing the color of your user name or blocking particular users.
How To Use Twitch on other platforms
Twitch can be used on a variety of platforms such as computers (supported web browsers), mobile devices (such as iPhone or Apple devices and Android devices), and game consoles (like Xbox and PlayStation). You can also access Twitch through,
Chromecast: Broadcast, view, and chat from another device and watch on your TV
Fire TV: Broadcast, view, and chat from another device and watch on your TV.
Tips and Tricks for Using Twitch
It’s easy to find something you’re interested in from all of the choices on Twitch, as well as to make new friends who are interested in the same topics as you.
- Not all video that is broadcast on Twitch is live-streamed. In fact, Twitch broadcasts some retro TV shows such as Julia Child’s “The French Chef,” “Julia and Jacques Cooking at Home,” and The Joy of Painting with Bob Ross. Visit the Twitch Specials page for details.
- When you find a broadcaster that you like, you can choose to follow them by clicking on the “Follow” button on the left side under their video. That will enable you to quickly navigate to their channel in the future because all of the accounts that you follow will be on one page when you click the “Following” link on the menu on the left side of the screen.
- Many people who broadcast videos on Twitch are doing so for a living. If you like the videos and what they are creating, you may want to consider subscribing or donating to them. A donation is a one-time payment that you can make to the creator of the video you like. A subscription typically involves a monthly fee for access to special features provided by the creator of the video. Both subscriptions and donations can be made directly to a broadcaster through Twitch’s secure servers. Simply click on the “Subscribe” or “Donate” button under the video stream that you’d like to support to get started. The next page will ask for your payment details and related information. (PS: Twitch is owned by Amazon.com, so payment is safe and secure.)
FURTHERMORE / New Friends on Twitch
- You may notice a link at the top of the home screen that says “Go Turbo.” This is an option to purchase a premium subscription to Twitch which allows you to access additional features. For instance, if you have a paid subscription, your experience will be free of advertising, you’ll have access to extra emoticons, colors, and badges to use in your chat, and you’ll have increased video storage in case you’d like to start broadcasting some video yourself. You can “Go Turbo” for $8.99 per month.
- You may see a reference to a “raid” when you’re chatting. A Twitch raid is when someone posts a link to a similar broadcast occurring on another channel and encourages participants in the chat room to log on to the other channel. It’s a form of a joke, or a prank, on Twitch.
- Fun Fact: Have you heard of Mukbang? This is a phenomenon from South Korea that is beginning to gain popularity in the United States. It refers to people who broadcast themselves via streaming video while they are eating. In South Korea, where many people live alone, it has become a common practice to tune into a video stream to eat with other people. Twitch is one of the first to offer a live streaming video platform for this in the US. The channel is called Social Eating. So, you can now tune in to eat and chat with new virtual friends at dinner time!
Have a great time making new friends and watching fun and entertaining videos on Twitch!