To get started, you must first sign up for Google Voice. Google Voice is a free service that offers a variety of features to help you stay connected.
Some of the services offered by Text Messages with Google Voice include:
- The ability to set up a new phone number
- Call forwarding for all of your phone numbers
- Voice mail transcription and storage
- Sending and receiving free SMS messages on your phone or on your computer
This article will focus on sending and receiving SMS messages after you must have signed up to Google Voice of course.
Please note that Google Voice is available in the United States only.
Sign up for Google Voice
Visit Google Voice to sign up for your free account. You must have a Google account to sign up for Google Voice. You will also need to have a US phone number.
You’ll then be asked to agree to Google’s terms and conditions, and will have the opportunity to set up a free Google number (or use your existing mobile phone number to send and receive calls and messages). You will be given the option to forward calls to your new or existing phone number.
Once your Google Voice account is activated, determine how you want to use the free SMS feature. You can use it online and/or via your mobile device. If you’d like to use Google free SMS messaging on the go, download and install the Google Voice app. You can find it in the iOS device store, or Google Play Store for Android devices. When you install the app you’ll be prompted to allow Google to access your contacts. Saying “yes” makes it easier to find friends and family to chat with using Google Voice. You can also change this setting later if you’d rather not give Google access to your contacts.
Send an SMS Message Using Google Voice
It’s easy to send free SMS messages using Google Voice.
To send your first message via desktop:
- Visit voice.google.com
- Click the “Text” button on the left side
- Enter the phone number that you want to text
- Enter your message
- Click “Send”
Your message has been sent!
To send your first message via mobile device:
- Firstly, open the Google Voice app
- Secondly, tap the “Dialer” icon
- Thirdly, tap “Text”
- Fourthly, enter the name of the contact you’d like to text in the “To” field if you had given permission for your contacts to be accessed. Otherwise, enter the phone number that you’d like to text.
- Next, enter your message in the field provided
- Tap the “arrow” icon to the right of the message to send it
Note: While Google Voice is free, as is sending SMS messages from the service, cellular charges may apply if you are using Google Voice on your mobile network. Connect to a wifi network before using Google Voice to avoid any additional charges.