There are some factors to consider when choosing a bandwidth testing service; one is accuracy, another is simplicity and device compatibility. All this you can find in Speedtest.net.
Speedtest.net is one of the best internet bandwidth testing services. It combines a very long list of remote test servers, an easy-to-use and fun interface, and powerful statistic tools. It’s also very popular, it runs over 50 million speed tests each month. You can get to know more about Speedtest.net by going through this review.
- Firstly, a huge number of bandwidth test locations all over the world, improving the accuracy of results.
- Secondly, a speedometer-like display is familiar and shows bandwidth levels during test.
- Thirdly, the nearest test location is automatically calculated based on the IP address.
- Fourthly, one of the most graphically appealing interfaces among speed test sites.
- Also, it’s a Flash-free speed test.
- net test result graphics are easily shareable via email and on social networks.
- Global Stats show test statistics from around the world.
- net test statistics are saved for future test comparisons.
- Lastly, app versions are available for most major mobile platforms.
- Heavy graphics more of a nuisance than an advantage for dial-up users.
- Test locations concentrated mainly in North America and Europe.
Even without making a user account, your preferred testing server can be pre-selected from the settings. Before you start the speed test, you can then pick either your preferred server or the recommended one, which is the one closest to your location.
If you’d rather read the speed test in a different unit of measurement, you can pick between kilobits (Kb) and megabits (Mb).
From the Results, History page is a list of all the tests you’ve taken as well as the best result from amongst them. Your speed test results can be exported to a CSV file.
Not only can single speed test results be shared, but also all of your Speedtest.net results – the whole list that shows your results over time. When you share a test, a Rating is shown to see how the speed of your connection compares to the rest of your country.
There are many bandwidth testing sites but Speedtest.net stands out. Speedtest.net is operated by Ookla, a provider of bandwidth testing technology to a number of other internet speed test sites. Speedtest.net is a very well-designed and functional site with a speedometer display and other dials and read-outs showing important information about your internet connection. A list of the thousands of remote testing servers, ordered by the ones closest to you, makes it easy to decide on and change test locations based on geography.
Besides the attractive design and a huge number of testing sites, Speedtest.net sets itself apart from most other internet speed test sites by its ability to save the results of your tests over time and to filter those tests to easily find ones performed against a particular server or by the connection (IP address) that was used when the test was performed. Every time you visit Speedtest.net, you can see the results of your previous bandwidth tests. This is great for tracking the speed of your internet connection to either show your ISP that your connection has slowed down or to prove to you that an advertised upgrade to your bandwidth has actually occurred.
Another unique feature is the custom Speedtest.net graphic that’s generated each time you do a bandwidth test. This graphic can be emailed to a friend or shared online to compare results with others, or perhaps you might want to forward it to your ISP along with a complaint letter if need be.
In conclusion, there’s very little not to like about Speedtest.net. It’s simple to use, fast, easy to understand, and fairly accurate.