Some PC owners don’t know that their PC hard drive needs to be clean up on a regular base. They keep loading with files and programs until they encounter a low disk space warning or a slow computer. As a result, they get confused when their computer system starts getting slow. I have created this post to help you my readers on how to clean up computer windows 10. This post will give you details on how you can properly clean up windows 10.
What is taking space on my hard drive?
When your hard drive is running slow or out of storage space, you probably don’t know what files or programs that are taking up space. This is why you need to understand which files or program is the most important and valuable to you. In addition, your system may be slow as a result of windows updates, hibernate and installer files.
Windows 10 has a disk analysis tool that can help check what is taking up space on your computer. To know what is actually taking up on your hard drive follow this step
- Locate setting on your windows 10.
- Select “system”
- Click on “Storage”.
- You see a list of the storage available on your computer click on “Local Storage”.
It will display the local storage usage page and how much space is being used by a category. Furthermore, You can click on each area to see details and to take an additional step to free up space.
For example, if you notice that your Apps and Games category is taking so much space. You can click on it to select and remove apps that you feel are no more useful.
How to clean your computer windows 10
There are several ways you can clean up your computer in windows 10. I will put you through on how to clean your computer windows 10. I have list 4 basic ways to do this and will look into the way after another.
- Delete and uninstall files, programs that you don’t need.
- Clean up using Disk Cleanup
- Disable Hibernation on Windows 10.
- Copy important large files to the external hard drives.
- Clean up you recycle bin
Delete and uninstall fillies, programs that you don’t need:
Removing files and programs that are not important to you is the easiest way to clean up a hard drive and improve your system performance. To delete files, go to document take your time to locate files and videos that may not be of importance to you and delete them.
In addition, uninstall apps that you don’t use. For example, apps that are preinstalled when you bought the laptop system or those ones that you installed yourself but never use them.
To uninstall unwanted apps and games take the following steps:
- Go to “Settings”
- Click on “Apps”.
- Select “Apps & Features”.
- Select the apps and games you wish to uninstall.
- Click up using Disk cleanup: Disk cleanup is a built-in tool in windows IOS that is designed to help users delete unnecessary fillies from a hard drive. However, in the new Windows 10 update, you can clean up your hard drive through “Control Panel”.
Delete files or programs Using Disk Cleanup.
- From my computer windows right-click on one of the hard drives and select properties.
- Click the Disk Cleanup button in the drive properties window.
- You will be brought to the Disk cleanup windows. Here, Disk Cleanup will display a list of apps and files that need to be deleted. Select the type of files you want to delete and click “OK”.
Disable Hibernation on Windows 10:
Herbeation is a feature in Windows that allows users to save data in memory to the hard drive when users want to shoot down the computer without losing their work. So that whenever your device comes up, you can continue where you stopped.
However, hibernation is a good feature but it’s depending on your system memory size. It may take up much space to store the data in memory.
- Go to the Start Menu
- Search for “Command Prompt”, right-click and select “Run as Administrator”.
- Click on turn off hibernate and press “Enter”.
- Clean up Your Recycle Bin: most people assume that ones a file is moved to a recycle bin it does not occupy any space in the hard drive. However, all deleted files are saved in the recycle bin for recovering purposes. If you notice you are running out of space, do well to check your recycle bin to permanently delete files that you may need again
- Copy important large files to external Hard disk :
The easiest way to add more storage to your device is to copy to an external drive.
How to move existing files to an external drive
- Locate the folder or file that you wish to copy.
- Right-click and select “send to”
- Choose the external drive
- Click on move
How to move apps and games to an external drive.
Microsoft offers users the opportunity to copy Microsoft store apps and games to an external drive instead of uninstalling them. Take the following steps to achieve these:
- Go to settings
- Click on Apps.
- Select Apps & features.
- Choose the app or game you wish to move.
- Click the move button.
- Select the location you wish to move or copy the files to.
How to clean your computer windows 10
I have created this post to help you my readers on how to clean up computer windows 10. This post will give you details on how you can properly clean up