It was founded by Sean Rad, Jonathan Mateen, Joe Munoz, Dinesh Moorjani and Whitney Wolfe.
Sean Rad and Justin Mateen had known each other from the age of fourteen. They both attended the University of Southern California and became online entrepreneurs at about the same time.
In the words of Sean Rad, ” no matter who you are, you feel more comfortable approaching somebody if you know they want you to approach them”. He said Tinder filled a gap in the availability of social platforms for meeting strangers, rather than connecting with people a user already knows.
In October 2014, Tinder users completed over one billion swipes per day, producing about twelve million matches per day. It was adjudged that the average user spends about ninety minutes a day on the app.
In 2016, Tinder invested in Vina, a social network for women to meet and nurture new friendships.
It launched Tinder Online, in March 2017, a web-optimized version of the dating app so that people can access the app at their desktops.
Tinder University came about in August 2018. It is a feature that allows college students to connect with other students on their campus and other schools. The same month, Tinder had over 3.7 million paid subscribers.
It is reported that the company is planning for a lighter version app called Tinder Lite. This is aimed at places where data usage is a lot of concern.
Very recently Tinder enabled a panic button tech to improve the safety of United States users. When a date goes wrong, the user hits a panic button, transmitting accurate location, data and thereby calls for emergency service. Users are also required to take selfies to prove their photos match in the Tinder profile before going to a meeting.
FEATURES OF THE APP
- Swipe: It is about the main feature of the app. It provides users the ability and choice to swipe right to “like” a potential match or swipe left to continue searching.
- Common Connections: This gives users the choice to see whether they share a mutual Facebook friend with a match or if the user and match have two separate friends who happen to be friends with each other.
- Messaging: Once a user matches with another user, they become enabled to exchange text messages in the app.
- Instagram Integration: Enables users to access other user’s Instagram profiles.
- Tinder Gold: It is a premium subscriber feature that allows users to see those who have already liked them before swiping.
- Panic button: Introduced January 2020, the feature includes location tracking, photo verification, and emergency assistance.
In March 2015, Tinder released its paid service, Tinder Plus, a feature that allows unlimited matches.
DELETING TINDER ACCOUNT PERMANENTLY
Unlike most mobile applications, deleting the Tinder app from one’s device doesn’t mean the account has been deleted. The profile remains active, messages, photos, and matches remain. Thus beyond deleting the app, one has to delete the account. This is done by
- Open the Tinder App
- Tap the profile icon at the top left of your screen
- Tap the “settings” icon in the middle of the screen
- Tap “Delete Account” at the end of the “settings”
- Tap “Delete My Account”
- Confirm the action – You will get a message that your account was deleted successfully.