What Is Packet Loss?
We are going to get a test for packet loss. Haven seen the header, this might sound strange to you. Packet loss refers to bulk or packet if information or data moving over a computer network connection without getting to its destination. A couple of times, it might cause a network connection to perform slower than it should be. However, right in this article, you will be shown how you can fix it regarding it as the number one priority.
How do I know am a victim of packet loss symptom
- Information will begin to miss
- It will take more time while loading
- You get to see some other interruptions while loading your information.
- Most times when you deal with outdated information.
Causal features of packet loss | Test For Packet Loss
Faulty Hardware: oftentimes, this will be as a result of a bad router, damaged network cards, or as a result of devices not carrying the traffic shared across them. This will definitely lead to packet loss. More to that faulty cables or wrong connections will slow the traffic of your data across the network.
Network overload: whenever there is limited network bandwidth for the suitable network connection, it will lead to packet loss. This is because multiple devices try to use the same network, thereby causing network node to carry the bulk of data than it should carry.
The above are the major cause of pocket loss.
Other causes include,
- Outdated devices
- Unwanted traffic.
How can I detect packet loss?
- Move to your PC windows
- Locate your “command prompt window” and enter your router local IP address and include “-t”. If you use Linux or MacOS, if you get to your “terminal Window” enter the router IP address without including “t”.
- Once the “command” has done about 10 packets. You can now send the command by press-holding “ctrl plus c”
Detect using tcpdump Command
This is meant for MacOS and Linux users. On that note, follow the below to detect packet loss.
- Open “tcpdump command on your macOS or Linux”. This will actually detect packet loss and give you the number of loss gotten.
- As soon as the command runs, check to see if packets drop.
How to Fix Packet Loss
Haven known the causes, symptoms, it is slightly easy to detect how to solve the problem of packet loss. Now follow the below procedures to help fix up the issue.
- Replace every ineffective hardware when you notice the there is a drop-down of its functionality. Sometimes it requires upgrading them by getting new devices.
- Avoid overloading.
- Always update your network device software because it can be as a result of software bugs which you can fix.
- Also, look into configuration settings to see if the configuration is well matched.