A car detailer job description entails maintaining a car, to make it shiny and spotless both on the inside and outside. A car detailer may function in a car dealership, a car wash, a specialty shop, a mechanic shop or as an independent contractor saddled with the responsibility of cleaning most parts of a car including cracks and crevices which are not cleaned by standard wash services.
If you have specific cleaning specifications for your car, a car detailer will ensure your expectations are met. From cleaning the interior and exterior cleaning services, detailers, handle everything like simple wash and vacuum to more intensive cleaning jobs, including handwashing vehicles, steaming and deodorizing interiors, as well as applying waxes, polishes, or protective agents to cars.
Car detailers may also be listed under the following names; automotive detailer, car washers, and cleaning technician.
Car Detailer Work Environment
A car detailer requires him/her to spend time inside and outside of vehicles and work with strong detergents and chemicals. They also spend time working outside in every kind of weather and must be ready to wear gloves and eye and ear protection.
Car Detailer Salary
The average salary scale is estimated at $18,000 – $24,000 a year depending on the detail shop. Hourly wages, on the other hand, ranges from $9 an hour to $12 an hour.
Education and Experience Requirements
- High school diploma or it’s equivalent.
- A valid state driver’s license with a good driving history.
- A training program at the place of employment.
- A certificate from a vocational or technical school in auto detailing.
- Certificate from an auto detailing school or course.
- Added knowledge from online seminars about auto detailing will be a plus.
- Certification from the International Detailing Association or IDA.
- Must be willing to work weekends and holidays.
- Should be willing to comply with all company policies and uphold standards for service quality.
- Pay attention to details.
- Have excellent customer service, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Must be a good critical thinker and have problem-solving skills.
car detailer jobs near me
To check out for car detailer jobs near you, click here
ResponsibilitiesRequired of a Car Detailer
- Reconditioning of the vehicle’s exterior
- To clean vehicle interiors as well as exteriors in accordance with all company standards and client requests.
- He/she should be able to operate buffers, steamers, hoses, vacuums, and other equipment to meet service expectations.
- It is required to use cleaning, protective, and restorative agents to maintain and enhance the appearance of vehicles.
- To perform inspections and keep complete accurate records of the vehicle’s condition.
- Use hoses and pumps for the washing and rinsing of vehicles.
- Expected to clean all dirt, grease, and tar from the exterior of the vehicle.
- Must be knowledgeable in using special foams and detergents designed for specific types of microfibers.
Customizing a Car Detailer Job Description
As you advertise a car detailer job, you may have to consider including details about the car detailer duties as well as expectations at your company. Ensure to provide also information about your desired skills, qualities, as well as qualifications. You can add to, or edit the car detailer job description to suit the kind of advertisement you desire.