In sending an email, Gmail automatically remembers every recipient. These addresses get to be seen in the Gmail contacts list. Gmail auto-completes them when a message is written.
To import addresses into Gmail, firstly, one needs to get them out of the current address book and in CSV format. CSV is a plain text file with names and addresses separated by commas.
EXPORTING YAHOO MAIL CONTACTS
With some email services, exporting of contacts in CSV format is quite simple. The exporting address book in yahoo mail entails:
- Open your Yahoo Mail
- Click the Contacts icon at the top of the right-side panel
- Place a checkmark in the box at the top of the list to select all contacts or place a checkmark in the format of the contacts you want to export
- Select Actions at the top of the contact list and select Export from the menu that appears
- Select Yahoo CSV from the menu that opens and click Export Now
EXPORTING OUTLOOK.COM CONTACTS
To export your address book in Outlook.com, the following procedure is followed:
- Go to Outlook.com in a web browser
- Select the People icon at the bottom of the left panel
- At the top of the contacts list, click Manage
- Select Export Contacts from the drop-down menu
- Select either All contacts or a specific contact folder
Exporting to a CSV file is quite difficult with some email clients.
For instance, Apple Mail does not support a direct export in CSV format. A Utility called “Address Book to CSV Exporter” allows users to export contacts in CSV file.
Some email clients export a CSV file that lacks the descriptive headers that Google needs to import the contacts. Such files can be open either in a spreadsheet program or a plain text editor and then, add them. The headers include last name, first name, email address, and so on.
IMPORTING ADDRESSES INTO GMAIL
On exporting CSV file, importing the addresses into Gmail contact entails:
- Open contacts in Gmail
- In the side of the contact, select More
- Select Import from the menu. An import contacts dialog will open
- Click Select file, search for the CSV file holding your exported contacts
- Choose Import
EXPORTING AOL MAIL CONTACTS
One may have years of contacts in the AOL Mail address book. To use these same contacts in another email service, you would have to export the address book out of the AOL Mail.
When you export contacts from the AOL Mail address, the available file formats import the contacts into most email programs and services.
SAVING AOL MAIL ADDRESS BOOK TO A FILE
To save your AOL Mail address book to a file:
- Go to the AOL Mail folder list, then select Contacts
- In the Contacts toolbar, select More, then choose Export
- In the Export Contacts dialog box, choose CSV
- Select Export
- A file titled contacts.csv will download to your computer
IMPORTING CONTACTS FROM ANOTHER PROGRAM
- Log in to your AOL Mail account
- Go to the folders list and select Contacts
- Go to the toolbar at the top of the contact list, select the More drop-down arrow, then choose Import
- Select CSV, choose to Browse for the file, then find the CSV file saved on your computer
- Select Open. AOL Mail notifies you that the contact list has been imported.