With so many top choices available, deciding where to go can be overwhelming. But to help families make a stellar choice, the U.S News & World Report, just announced it’s 2020 list of the best colleges. The U.S News updated its ranking criteria this year to include some important factors, and in addition, focuses on academic quality. They emphasize outcome measures like graduation rates, retention rates and social mobility.
This year, the U.S News also added new rankings, which includes top performers for social mobility. In this category, the publication evaluated the schools that best serves underrepresented students.
Making use of Pell Grants as a proxy measure, the ranking took into consideration the enrollment as well as graduation rates of low-income students. On the whole, public schools in California, Florida and New York topped the list in terms of enrolling the graduating large proportions of low-income students.
Under the section called “academic programs to look for”, eight additional new rankings were added this year. It includes categories like study abroad (Elon University in North Carolina came tops), first-year experiences (Agnes Scott College in Georgia came No. 1) and co-ops/internships (Northeastern University in Massachusetts came top of the list).
List of Top National Universities
- Princeton University (New Jersey)
- Harvard University (Massachusetts)
- Columbia University (New York) (tie)
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (tie)
- Yale University (Connecticut) tie.
List of Top National Liberal Arts Colleges
- Williams College (Massachusetts)
- Amherst College (Massachusetts)
- Swarthmore College (Pennsylvania) (tie)
- Wellesley College (Massachusetts) (tie)
- Pomona College (California).
List of Top Public Schools National Universities
- University of California, Los Angeles
- University of California, Berkeley.
- The University of Michigan in Ann Arbor
- University of Virginia
- Georgia Institute of Technology
List of Top Public Schools National Liberal Arts Colleges
- United States Naval Academy (Maryland)
- United States Military Academy (New York)
- The United States Air Force Academy (Colorado)
- Virginia Military Institute
- Mary’s College of Maryland.
List of Top Performers on Social Mobility National Universities
- University of California, Riverside
- University of California, Santa Cruz
- University of California, Irvine
- Howard University (Washington, DC)
- Rutgers University, Newark (New Jersey)
List of Top Performers on Social Mobility National Liberal Arts Colleges
- Connell College (Iowa)
- Agnes Scott College (Georgia)
- Houghton College (New York)
- College of Idaho
- Salem College (North Carolina).