Taking from the review by CDC (center for disease control and prevention), the pandemic is a rapidly evolving situation but CDC has stood up to provide updated information and guidance as it has become an available priority.
CDC said that the new pandemic disease is a respiratory disease that has the capacity to move from one-person-to-another. Thus it is caused by a novel- Coronavirus. This disease is said to have been in existence as of 2019 which brought about the abbreviation “COVID-19”.
However, this health challenge has posed a lot of health risks over the world. Furthermore, the federal government is indeed working hard with the states, local level, tribe, and territorial partners, alongside health experts in order to respond to this situation. According to the CDC, this disease situation appears severe in adults as their immune system no longer fights foreign bodies actively.
Condition of COVID-19 in the US
We can say that the level of attack of COVID-19 activities is quite different from each of the states and locations in the US. This is because each state handles the pandemic with different health responses as a result of the characteristics this virus has over the location.
Some ongoing activities in the US include
- The CDC and state and local public health laboratories are testing for the virus that causes COVID-19.
- About 50 states have as well reported of COVID-19 cases to CDC.
- Some of the cases reported are investigated from the following categories
- Imported Cases in travelers
- The most case as a result of close contacts
- Some cases also had no traced source for the infection.
- Many U.S states have reported some community spread of COVID-19.
How to respond to Suspected Cases
We believe that we can put stop to this as well all take our part responsibly to this emerging public threat.
- The White House announced a program called “15 Days to Slow the Spread”. This was observed nationwide to ensure that the spread of COVID-19. This brought about social distancing at all levels of society.
- If you are a healthcare provider, ensure your judgment to determine if a patient has signs and symptoms compatible with COVID-19 before raising alarm. Some other factors to consider in addition to clinical symptoms include
- Trace if the patient embarked on recent travel from an affected area
- Who has the patient been close to? The person could also be infected
- Does the person reside over areas that have confirmed COVID-19?
- If you have been in an area that is affected, ensure to stay indoors and also adhere to the simple preventive measure of COVID-19.
Etymology of COVID-19
COVID-19 is caused by a Coronavirus. Yes! You wonder why it is a Coronavirus. This is because Coronavirus is a large family of viruses that are common in people and many different species of animals, such as camels, cattle, cats, and bats. Thus, the animal coronaviruses can infect people and then spread between people such as with MERS-CoV, SARS-CoV.
All the classes of these viruses have their origin in bats. We also traced that many patients at the epicenter of the outbreak in Wuhan, Hubei Province, China, has some link to large seafood and live animal market. This can be related as a person-to-person spread when the cases were reported in the United States aside Hubei.
The response of the CDC over COVID-19
- CDC has also deployed multi-disciplinary teams to support the state health department in discharging the identification, tracing contract and as well as clinical management.
- CDC has established a COVID-19 incident management system on January 7, 2020. They act as Emergency operations centers that offer better support on the ongoing pandemic.
- The U.S government has taken steps based on previous records against travel. This is showing that it poses the public to health threats.
- CDC has also mapped out guidance for other settings such as long-term care facilities, Nursing homes and as well discontinuation of home isolation for persons with COVID-19.
- CDC is also developing a serology test for COVID-19.